Monday, December 5, 2011

Conflicts

I just finished writing my reflection essay for my pediatric rotation. I wrote it about being a working mom, essentially. Not all women have the luxury of staying at home with the kids. Life may never have afforded them that opportunity. Or, like me, I have this nagging calling that if I don't fulfill it, I know I'll be doing something wrong. And I guess I also happen to be the primary breadwinner. Denying who I really am.

When it comes down to it, I know that women all over have decided out loud not to judge each other for our mutual decisions. The working woman has no right to turn up her nose at the stay-at-home mother, and neither does the home-schooling mom have any right to judge the woman who works full-time. I believe that you can be a good mother in both situations. And you can be a terrible mother yet be home all the time.

Anyway, despite this sort of social "yeah let's not judge each other," there is a definite unspoken culture about it. (Or spoken, I guess, if someone happens to be untactful). I've heard women staying at home be judgmental about "that mom" who is never around. I have heard female surgeons complain about how they couldn't stand their kids when they have to watch them all week.

I just hope that I do well by my child(ren). That I can, hopefully, join the generation of women that will not be work-bullied in a workplace of men, and will stand for themselves AND their children and say, "SUCK it dudes, I am a working mom AND I take care of the kids!!"

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! My family, friends, and colleagues have all been very supportive and encouraging. Honestly, sometimes the greatest struggle in the whole working vs. stay-at-home debate that I have is interior - allowing feelings of doubt and guilt to creep into my inner dialogue. However, I truly believe God called me to be a wife, mother, AND doctor, and that, with Him, all things are possible. As you know so well, this medicine/motherhood combo is a challenging one, but one that is full of blessings, and there is peace and joy in knowing that I'm following God's will, even when's not always easy. And our faithful Father always takes care of us and provides for us! Romans 8:28! Keep fighting the good fight and give sweet Miriam a hug for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete