The drive to Austin was flat and boring, but I did take some quick pics of the road (don't worry, I was NOT looking at my phone when I took these: there is an auto-camera button and I have good finger motor memory :)). These highlight the only beautiful thing about Texas: the sky.
The night before my interview, I got to see old friends from Tulsa. Sadly, I have no pictures, but I just have to say that my hosts were so gracious and generous, and it was so nice to see Alyson and Philip and their absolutely adorable Aust-onian nest. Complete with dinner and dessert and delicious tea, and comfortable company. (So much alliteration already in play, I just had to keep going... perhaps at the price of good writing.) Thanks, Alyson and Philip!
The Austin program generously paid for my hotel stay that night. It was a lovely experience. I had an 8th floor room, king's suite, with beautiful views. There was an indoor courtyard and a yummy breakfast.
I'm not sure why, but my door was very... fancy. No other way to put it. And I had my own living room!
I didn't know that hotel rooms ever came with living rooms. And two TVs. Livin' it up, fo sho.
The next morning was my interview. The Dell Children's hospital is brand new (built in 2007) and very artsy. I didn't take pictures inside because that is a no-no. But the exterior was funky and represents the interior nicely. Imagine colorful hallways with children's artwork, lots of statues and cute figurines of fishes and guitars. Everything went well, I had a great time with all of my interviewers, and I came away feeling so great about my visit.
And then that was that. I drove back and took more pictures of that lovely sky, now with cloud formations.
And here is a random building shaped like a bug.
My thoughts? It's a lovely little program with honest, cool people working there. I liked the feel of the city (small but not cramped, large enough to have "stuff," bike paths, everybody looked like yoga instructors). I think Andrew and I could really fit in there.
It was a great first interview experience.
It was a great first interview experience.
















No comments:
Post a Comment