Recently I was given the opportunity to visit Chapel Hill and interview at the University of North Carolina located there. It was my first interview requiring a flight, and as I haven't flown for a very long time (three years, I think) I was excited :). So I took pictures of my coffee, my New York Times paper, and the not-so-flattering view from my window seat before take-off.
I love travel, no matter how mundane the occasion. It warrants a few photos to celebrate.
I was greeted at the airport by my brother-in-law, Mike, and I got to stay with the hubby's sister, Bekah and their three fabulous kids. It set the perfect, welcoming tone for the interview, and I continued with the warm fuzzies throughout the experience.
Chapel Hill is small but full of trees and nicely packed in. I think it was too warm to see very much color, but what I did see was just lovely. Especially compared to scrubby Texas.
These are real trees, if you can't tell from the pictures. They are tall, elegant, and upright. I don't see many real trees where I live.
The hospital itself was very nice, and I felt like the residents and faculty I met were brimming with Southern hospitality: they were so kind, so welcoming, they made everyone feel just at home, and definitely made me feel like I was interviewing them, not the other way around: one of my interviewers told me all about how great North Carolina was, and in particular Chapel Hill. I was completely enthusiastic about the place after listening to how much he loved being there.
These are rather grimy views from within the hospital (the windows were dirty, not my phone's camera):
Again, the hospital felt warm and inviting, as much as hospitals can be. And the larger UNC campus is so... collegiate! And gorgeous! Trees, trees, trees and lots of green shrubbery. Red brick. Students walking around in hoodies with stacks of books. Small, cozy streets. Love.
The one very exciting adventure during my stay was the bus ride back from Chapel Hill to Raleigh, where my in-laws live. I have to confess that I have never, until this point in time, ridden public transportation in America. Never ever.
I actually really enjoyed it! I didn't have to pay attention to anything but scenery. Because I had nothing better to do than chill out, it was a relaxing 1.3 hr ride with plenty to look at on the way back.
And I also took a sneaky picture inside the bus, just because it was so novel to me. One of the other passengers actually tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I was lost not long after this photo was taken :). I guess I looked that much of a noob.
My parting thoughts? Chapel Hill is definitely smaller than Dallas, so it would be a step down in that sense, losing that "big city" vibe. But I think it's really the kind of place where you would enjoy finding your favorite place to go to: restaurant, or coffeeshop or other, and you would get to know everybody and get really comfortable. The beach and the mountains are not far in either direction, and between the three points of the triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) there are plenty of things to do. I am confident that the residency itself would provide a fantastic education (I was very impressed with the quality of discussion in morning report, and the didactic session in the afternoon), and I can see myself fitting in and being very happy. I could see Miriam in that city, too. And of course, I would love for her to get to know her cousins there.
Yes, there are definitely big positives for UNC. But as this is only my second interview, I'm so excited to see what else the other cities and programs have to offer, especially since my first two went so well!










No comments:
Post a Comment