- I had Baby mid-way through and I did not take time off.
- I only took ONE exam two weeks later than scheduled.
- I may not be an A student, but I have no C's.
- I maintained a good relationship with the hubby.
- I found time to play my favorite game, Pet Society. Yes. This is an accomplishment.
- I joined an med student acappella group.
- I'm going to be a volunteer coordinator for a pediatric interest group.
- I made friends at school.
- I breastfed my baby all the way through.
- And Miriam is healthy as a horse with a "perfect" physical exam.
I know there are people out there who would judge me for what I have chosen to do. I am a woman. I am a mother. I am a doctor-in-training. I know people who would tell me that I am doing wrong by my family for my choices. At one point I almost listened to some of those voices. But this year has convinced me that I have orders from Above to do what I am doing. It is my calling and I love it. I've got a brain and I ain't afraid to use it.
That being said, I do know the importance of relationships. Relationships are everything. I cannot pursue my calling without having those good relationships, and I am so blessed in this regard. My wonderful, ridiculous family is available for me all the time. I am currently typing this from their living room because (HA!) we have moved in temporarily. Just until our lease begins on the new apartment. My super-mom is the best daycare a new mother could ask for. Miriam is happy, chubby, well-adjusted, hitting all her milestones, and I'm still her favorite person ^_^. Well, except for Daddy, of course. Speaking of her daddy, Andrew is so completely supportive of me it blows my mind. He knows where my heart is, and that is with him. He also knows that my mind needs exercise, and that it's learning immunological pathways and genetic abnormalities. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, shamelessly: marrying him was the best choice I've ever made. Most important of all, I have a God who loves me, even though I am a very bad child and more often than not I try to ignore Him. He kind of keeps poking at me until I listen up, though. God is good at that.
Well I started out all strong and "I'm gonna pat myself on the back now" but instead I've just blown it and accredited all my "achievements" to other people. Fitting, though. I couldn't have made it without a lot of help. I am at peace with myself and God and I don't have to sacrifice my family while I pursue my calling. That is such a blessing. I am so lucky, I feel like I won the life lottery.
So that is my conclusions about the year. It was difficult, not gonna lie. But soooo worth it.
aw I'm glad you're doing what you are supposed to be doing... that's a really nice feeling, and I'm glad you have a lot of supportive and sweet family nearby!
ReplyDeleteYou have also found time to hang out with your in-laws! You are definitely an over achiever, a good wife, mommy and friend!
ReplyDelete:) It is so sweet to look back on this past year - way to go! And you're right - it isn't easy, and I've worried for years about the mommy-wife-doctor juggling act. It is such a blessing to have a fantastic supportive husband, wonderful family, and most of all the freedom of grace from a loving God no matter what ill behaved children we are!
ReplyDeleteYou and your family rock! God, too, of course.
ReplyDeleteWait, so you started your MS2 year without a summer? You don't get summer break? Oh noes!
ReplyDeleteGod really blessed you this year. It's awesome to hear how you are growing in this new stage of your life. ^_^