Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A New Semester

Miriam and my sister say hello:


It's a fresh start. I have a new pack of lovely V5 Pilot pens in 0.5 mm, which my uber cool Asian classmate/friend Juhee told me about.


... and that means I'm ready to make color-coded flashcards. Oh yes. Because our first class is pharmacology (i.e. the study of drugs, or put another way, the class in which I will attempt to memorize the mechanism, uses, contraindications and routes of dosage of some 900 drugs, many of which I have reason to believe will no longer be in use, given a decade or so).

Classes have been going on a week. This is week two. So far, I am not behind. Also in other good news, I passed Anatomy this summer. Did I already say that? So it's goodbye to the gastrocnemius muscles and our wonderful gastrointestinal friend, the greater omentum... and hello to Alprostadil and Epoprostenol (prostaglandin analogs that locally act on GPCRs, absolutely contraindicated in pregnancy)!

Miriam is not feeling her best lately. Doctor says she has a minor cold, which makes her stuffy with a very cute, very tiny, very pathos-inspiring little wet cough. At nine months, she is still off the charts in height (30", I believe), and 76% for weight (21 lbs). She is also extremely active! Not a cuddle bug at all. The only times my baby will sit still for you is when she is a) sleepy b) sick or c) scared. I kind of miss the months when all she did was lie on her back and wave her arms at the ceiling. Now she is a constant, restless ball of energy. Apparently, just like me ^_^. She says "uh-oh" and I think she is beginning to pronounce "da-da," and my mom caught her trying to open the back door yesterday. Yikes.

Last week my acappella group, the Lymph Notes, sang Time is Running Out by Muse for the new MS1s. It was fun. Kind of nerve-wracking, but once we got into it, it was awesome. My taste in music has kind of expanded since joining that group. I used to hate Muse, but now I really like this song. It has an awesome base line and a great rhythm. The lyrics are hopeless, however. I generally ignore them in these types of songs, and think of the song as an exercise in rhythm and texture instead :).

The other song that I've become obsessed with is Bad Romance by Lady Gaga. Ever since Glee did that song, I can't stop singing it at random hours of the day. Please DON'T watch Gaga's music videos, however. They are so creepy. I find them fascinating in an artistic sort of way, but they are disturbing.

Rah rah ah ah ah!
Roma, roma ma
Ga - ga - ooh- lala!

What a catchy beginning line! However, I think my dad considers Gaga a bad Madonna wanna-be. Either that or the devil. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Actually, I haven't posted in so long that I wonder if I've lost most of my readers. Anybody out there still reading? (.... affirm me...................). LOL. I just had coffee. Time to go study pharm and micro. Maybe throw some pathology in there too.

OH one more thing! Andrew is starting classes this Thursday! All English literature. He and I will be VERY busy this semester. It's going to be crazy, but I know God is good and He makes things all right. Even when they suck. Which it might for a bit.

*Hugs*
^_^

5 comments:

  1. I'm still reading! Happy to see the update :) Wow that's quite a name for the group. Lady Gaga... I don't know, I just can't love her, maybe it's too overplayed, I don't know. I do like Rihanna though, just to prove that I'm not being a music snob... haha well I miss you, best of luck with the color coded flashcards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. color coded flashcards! yay! i still read! read my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. still reading, jenny!!
    i can't believe how old miriam is already! time certainly flies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *laughs* Your posts make me smile, Jenny! Seeing those pictures makes me miss you! :o)

    ReplyDelete