Thursday, September 30, 2010

When I need to be studying, I write a blog post instead.

I am learning about the retinoblastoma gene, p53, BCR/ABl and Gleevec (Imatinib). Anyone who took Biochem of Cancer will recall these fun cancer friends... ah, how the past comes back haunt oneself.

I ought to be studying, but I am writing this instead :).

I am beginning to feel just a little bit more like a doctor. Just a little bit. I am stuffed full of information that, like clay in a baby's hands, I have no idea how to manipulate it into the right shape to make it do what I want. But I'm figuring it out. Little by little. I am already looking forward to 3rd year, when the "real" work begins. Rotations, sleeplessness, real patients with real problems... yup, I am excited and nervous.

Yesterday when we picked up Baby from my parents' house, guests were over. I was wearing my white coat because I was cold. I realized how strange it was once I walked in. Someone commented that it was cute. It struck me at that moment, however, that my white coat and stethoscope was as much a uniform as a firefighter's trademark helmet and gear. I am a public servant when I wear that coat. My job is to serve the needs of the population, so in that sense I am truly a servant... and the respect that good physcians receive is respect that arises from the public acknowleding our special place in society. To heal the sick, tend to the wounded, repair damage.

I hope I don't forget that any time soon...

3 comments:

  1. When I need to be studying, I read your blog instead. Your opening paragraph makes me appreciate that I kinda, sorta understand my field. Because I would have a heck of a time trying to figure out yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry if I offended with the term cute. No disrespect intended. I use that word and the phrase, "How cute is that?" often when something long awaited for is being realized. Like, "Wow, it's happening!"
    Maybe, I have a weird way of gushing.
    Anyway, I comment on blogs, when I should be preparing lessons and grading papers;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe Tamitha... you didn't offend; far from it, you made me happy. I am a sucker for compliments :).

    ReplyDelete