It's about to be a new month. It's about to be a new month!
I straightened my hair and did makeup. And put on jewelry.
SEE MAKEUP?? SEE JEWELRY??
Okay maybe not. Asians can only go so far with makeup or they look like clowns. But please tell me you can see that I am wearing pearls. And that my hair is straight(er) than usual, because I understand that my hair is usually straight. But I can tell the difference.
Haven't done that in awhile it feels like. Tomorrow I will do the same. Oh, and I also did my nails :). I discovered that neutral lip colors and nail colors for Asian skin tones MUST have some element of apricot or peach, not pink as their base color. I am loving a L'Oreal nail color in "Versailles Romance"from their uber-pretentious line, "Color Riche." Don't let the name throw you off, it's still only 6 bucks at CVS.
I have seen a lot of strange things on psychiatry so far. Too bad it would be a violation of HIPAA to tell you guys about most of them. I can say, however, that one should never underestimate the power of psychogenic forces. I have seen psychogenic blindness, seizures, inability to walk, inability to swallow, and inability to remember anything about oneself. It's called conversion disorder. It's weird stuff. Where the body translates stress into a physical symptom.
But if you think about it, we all do conversion at times. Stressed out? Boom--HEADACHE! Big test tomorrow? Boom--DIARRHEA!
I am looking forward to February, and the last two weeks of psychiatry. Being around so much brain pathology makes one wonder how much insanity lies within ones own cranium. Like I told my mother-in-law today, it's not that psychiatry isn't interesting. But I miss disease. I miss disease that I can smack with an antibiotic and say "I hope I don't see you in 10 days or else I've done a bad job."
Nope, I will gladly leave behind the world of it's-really-about-your-mother and psychotic patients who are crying like babies one moment, then biting people and slamming their face into tiled floors the next.


Someday I want to hear more about your psychiatry experience! I'm probably going to be working in a psych ward type environment next year...
ReplyDeleteDr. Winter (the head of the program here and a psychiatrist) said that when he was deciding whether or not to go into psychiatry, they talked about that same dynamic you mention, that you can't always treat that stuff very rewardingly (new word) with medicine, and it's frustrating. Makes a lot of sense!
You are beautiful, and I hope you know that you are beautiful without makeup too. But glad you got the time to dress up a little :)
This really made me laugh. Psych is uniquely strange even within the admittedly odd world of medicine. And I too liked the weirdness of it even while I realised that it was too intangible for me. Totally get this.
ReplyDelete