Friday, March 19, 2010

Old Self: Retrospect

One of my favorite pastimes when I am sick and bored (like I am today) is to dig up old journals and remember what it was like to be a teen, or a pre-teen, or even younger. My oldest journals date back to when I was in the 2nd grade or so. They are not quite as interesting to read as my teenage diaries, generally being full of sentences like "I got a new Littletst PetShop toy that is so cute and I got toplay so much with it today." I can only take so much of that.

My /teenage/ self, however, is HA-larious. I love her (and detest her, too), mostly because I've changed quite a bit. There are a lot of gems in my diary, but my absolute favorite stuff, of course, is about BOYS. I thought I hated boys, but I still made my list. Here is a diary excerpt because it was just too funny when I uncovered this today. (Editor's note: this is largely unedited. I cut some stuff for the sake of brevity, but all the uppercase crap is original, and so too is the stifling excess of exclamation points).

"Yikes i have WAAAAY to much mushy stuff in here. People reading this later might think that's all I think about! FAAAAR from it. I've taken a vow of abstinence. Or whatever. Nun-like vow. I will NEVER get a date. I will NEVER marry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be free forever until the day I die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If God forced me to marry, I would have impossible requirements for my husband.
1) Smarter than I am (I am going to medical school so daaaang that dude had better be smart!)
2) at least as good as music as I am--he MUST play the violin as well as play piano!!!!!!! he must BE ABLE TO SING ON KEY!!!!!
3) AT LEAST good looking. i don't think i could stand to have an ugly husband.
4) LOVES children. if he hates children, i hate him.
5) loves animals, loves art
6) likes Japanese food, or at least tolerates different food. i will not have a picky husband!
7) LOVES GOD WITH ALL HIS HEART!
No, check that. I DO NOT WANT A HUSBAND. End of story. Period. Ugh. Mush mush mush mush mush.....................................................bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh."

I love how right after declaring my singlehood for life, I immediately launch into a list of requirements for my lover.

Of course, after writing down something like this, I was the first to get married out of my highschool friends, the first to have a kiddo, and Andrew sings like Kermit with a cold (sorry, sweetie). Funny enough, though, my hubby does fulfill pretty much everything on that list in his own unique way. Like the whole smarts thing. I may know more science than Andrew could ever, would ever, and will ever know, but I know he is so much smarter than me in such a completely different way that there's just no comparison. I do facts, he does philosophy. It's just different.

Well, in conclusion, I think Someone Up There has a good sense of humor :).

2 comments:

  1. Bahahaha wow I can very much envision younger versions of you writing both the little kid and the teenage excerpts. Teenage diaries are something else. I keep meaning to burn mine in case something ever happens to me and my poor family has to go through them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh. I remember some old conversations with you in which you sounded a lot like that journal entry. God has a sense of humor, indeed.

    ReplyDelete