Saturday, February 27, 2010

Two sick puppies and a wiggle worm

Andrew and I are the sick puppies. He has some strange stomach flu and I think I have a sinus thing from my week of terrible allergies. And of course, Miriam is the wiggle worm. She's reached an interesting stage where she can't move yet (roll over or otherwise), but I think she really wants to. So she just wiggles a lot and gets a bit frustrated.

On the subject of medical school, I was really nervous about the cell bio test that I just took on Friday, but I pulled off the lab practical portion: 100%! My very first med school exam ACED. I studied hard for this exam. I now can tell you all about your testicular tissue (should you happen to have any, which I sincerely hope you don't if you happen to be female). And I have an intimate relationship with the retinal layers of the eye. It is beautiful. Trust me, it just is. Simply magnificent. These are your retinal layers below:

The whole eye is such a delicate, well ordered structure. I think it is my favorite of all the tissues we looked at.


You know about "rods and cones"? You are looking at them! This is a close-up of the picture above. Amazing. Well, maybe I am just geeking out about it because I've been staring at tissues under a microscope every day for two months, haha. But if just one person who reads this can come to appreciate the beauty of the retina, then I will have done my duty! APPRECIATE YOUR RETINAS. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL THINGS. IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE ANY, YOU COULDN'T READ THIS POST.

Okay, enough about retinas. Moving on: I swear Miriam knows how to make herself cuter. I don't know how she does it, but whenever she really wants to picked up, and I happen to look her way in her chair/crib/playmat, she will squirm and grin and open her eyes wide and make little plaintive, happy noises while pedaling her chubby feet. Simply adorable. I can't resist! Manipulative little babies, why are they so cute!?

Andrew's first training shift at Urban Dog the coffeeshop is on Monday. I am jealous. I miss being a barista! Free coffee, friendly people, laid-back, skinny-jeaned co-workers with tattoes and interesting haircuts. Why did I leave? Oh yeah... the teeny-tiny paycheck. Right. Can't make a career out of it, otherwise I'd love a job where you get paid to drink coffee, make coffee, and hand out coffee to other people!

Well, Miriam is calling for me. Must go!

9 comments:

  1. why don't you make history and be the first friendly, laid-back, skinny-jean-clad, tatooed, interesting-haired (i know, not a word) medical doctor in the history of the world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I held MIriam for the first time Monday. Not sure which was cuter-Miriam or your parents GUSHING! Sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. laughing about your "you couldn't read without retinas" line- ha haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Yes, you should have lots of beautiful, chubby babies that will grow up and give you plenty of blogging material. That's what it's all about, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for those photos--they are pretty wonderful indeed. :o) And I second Alisha. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats, jenny! Way to go on ur test. Huge accomplishment! Can I see more pics of Miriam? Haven't seen her in a while and i'm sure she looks different by now! Babies change SO quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny!
    Thanks so much for the sweet comment on my blog, I always love comments! I am a little bummed to hear that drama still continues after highschool, I wish it would just magically end on graduation day. Oh well, so goes life.

    I have seen you or Miriam since Christmas...I'm sure she's getting so grown-up and even more precious. Pictures anytime soon?

    Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *oops! I haven't seen*...stupid typos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, we're super excited, but not quite as excited as his dad! : ) Thank you for the bathroom compliment! Lots of projects going on at our house, but it's fun! : )

    ReplyDelete