Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Biochemistry and Baby

Biochemistry
Today was the second day of lectures, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had learned 80% of the material, and was familiar with the remaining 20%. Hardly any of it was brand-new.
Thanks to a biochemistry of cancer course that I took my senior year, I DID recognize the evilness pictured above. My fellow chemistry/biochemistry majors will smile, grin, and nod when they see it. Our professor was a charitable soul. He identified with our plight, correctly deducing that the mere words, "cell cycle pathway," would provoke the following response:

He showed this picture on the first PowerPoint slide, and we collectively laughed. Then he proceeded to lecture, of course.

Baby
I had my one month check-up today! Everything looks good. Apparently I am slightly anemic from pregnancy, so I'm taking these really hard-core looking iron pills. We listened to Baby's heartbeat--sounds healthy. They made me drink some sick-nasty sugar solution to check for diabetes, and while I waited around for the test to finish up I studied.

Our baby is feisty: when the NP applied the ultrasound probe to my belly, she kicked at it and scooted all the way to the other side. The NP had to chase her around and pin her down to listen to the heartbeat.

That's my girl!

1 comment: