Monday, August 24, 2009

Mondays aren't always bad

Despite a mix good things and bad things, I have to conclude that today was a good day. Let's start with the bad...

Apparently I failed to pass my one-hour glucose screening test for gestational diabetes, so I have to go back on Wednesday and take a three-hour screening test where they make me drink lots of sugar water and take my blood every hour. Online resources indicate that there are quite a few false positives in the initial one-hour screening tests, so this doesn't mean I have diabetes. Of course, having gestational diabetes can put you at risk for Type II diabetes later on, and because I am Asian and have a parent with diabetes, I need to watch out for Type II later in life. Fortunately, the best prevention is a healthy diet and lots of exercise. Good thing I love vegetables and like sports :).

That was all the bad news, really.

The good news is that I am currently healthy, Baby is doing well, Andrew loves me and made a delicious dinner of grilled chicken, corn and zucchini, and I have a working brain that is absorbing as much biochemistry as possible. We have (borrowed) money to pay bills, a nicely stocked fridge, loving family and great friends. What more can I ask for? God is good.

Here are some pictures for you to enjoy. This first is part of Andrew's "kung-fu" training for my little brother, Jason. The intense training regimen involves such tasks as: enduring a tickle-torture for 30 seconds, pushing past a barrier of pillows, wrestling matches, poke fights, stare downs and the like. This aged document was created by Andrew for Jason to solve. Can you answer the puzzle? It reads: "Name, O Kung-Fu Student, 3 days of the week that are not Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday."

Exhibit: Very Old Document with Secret Riddle from Internet Site

This second picture is my first-ever preggo Jenny picture. I am dressed up for the physician's dinner I mentioned in my previous post. The dress is my engagement dress; I discovered it still fit and looked cute over a pair of black stretch leggings and little white shoes.

Photo: There's mah belly!

I don't think it's a very good picture, but it's the first one so whatever. I am a few weeks from 7 months now!!

Aaaaand it's 11 pm. Ha. I was going to study all evening, but we ended up watching an episode of House and I felt like blogging. So, lots to study tomorrow. I had planned on studying today while my class was in anatomy lab, but today was just one of those pregnant days where I was tired. So I napped three hours instead, from 1 to 4. Tomorrow I only have class from 9 to 12. I'll go to a pediatric interest group at noon, but my classmates have anatomy from 1 to 5, which I am not attending...

Wow! I never would have supposed that the beginning of school would be this blessedly smooth sailing. I am glad that I have this time to ease into what will become an increasingly hectic schedule, and very thankful that I have time especially now in pregnancy to take three hours naps in the middle of the day :). I couldn't have picked a better time to be pregnant and in medical school, really. Yet another reason that this Monday has been a good Monday!

:o)

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, are you not doing anatomy lab b/c of the formaldehyde fumes? I know that we were told to let the doctors know if we were/became pregnant b/c it would be a bad idea to be dissecting. Oh, and I totally know what you mean about being angry that doctors (or others) are against the healthcare reform purely b/c of personal financial stakes. Bleh :( Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that you're mostly doing very well and I hope that we can talk sometime soon. Miss you friend...
    -El

    ReplyDelete