Monday, August 17, 2009

The First Day is Done

My first day at UTSW is finished and I am Oriented out of my MIND. Today was a day of paperwork, paperwork, info-sessions and more paperwork. Some things I have already learned:
  • I am the only pregnant med student in my class so far as I can tell
  • Medical schools love forms, fliers and handouts
  • There are a lot of cool Asian girls (like me :)) becoming doctors
  • Medical equipment is freaking expensive
Some more interesting news: we got fitted for our white coats, which will be embroidered with the UTSW logo and our name and presented to us at the white coat ceremony. UTSW claims our white coats will make us look like this:

I have come to understand, however, that our class of 2013 will probably look more like this:

In looking over the syllabus, I realized that med students in their second year are correct when they warn us that one semester's worth of undergraduate biochemistry is covered in one week of medical biochemistry. I think I have 200 pages of pre-class reading and 75 pages of stuff I NEED TO MEMORIZE in this one week alone. And that's only one class! Well, somehow I'll get through this semester. I am excited by challenges and encouraged by all the support and love that my wonderful husband and loving family are giving me.

Now for some quick baby news: I do have a bump, I determined. It looks sizable to me, but three people commented today that I looked *so small* for being 6 months along. Well, I like to think my people specialize in the small and cute :P. These are just a few of the cell-phone charm offerings at one of my favorite cute Japanese product websites, Strapya World. I LOVE Strapya World. I would spend big $$ there if I could spare them. It's things like these that make me proud to be Japanese.

Okay, back to real life. The more I think about "Miriam" as a name, the more I like it. Nothing set in concrete of course, so you won't find me embroidering names on anything. Not that I know how to embroider.

I am so excited to meet my child. She will be cuter than all the Strapya accessories in the world :).

No comments:

Post a Comment