Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hey, epiphany!

I have been so busy and caught up with medical school and pregnancy that I realized I haven't given too much thought into a very important fact:

I am about to become a mother.

$%#$!!

Strange that I could be so focused on being pregnant. Pregnancy, after all, is only the 9-month prelude to a lifetime commitment, a fact that I still see played out in front of me every time Andrew and I visit my parents' house and my mom conjures up delicious food out of a seemingly empty fridge.

22 seems a bit young to be embarking on this journey... Perhaps I can take comfort in the fact that I have a slightly better chance of maybe being the sorta kinda cool hip young mom, even to my own kiddos. I will be barely into my 40's by the time Miriam is my age.

A number of people have told me the same basic message about parenting: parents become parents when they become parents. A poorly constructed tautology, perhaps, but I agree with them. It all probably won't hit home until she is born, and then it will hit with a vengeance. A cute, cuddly, adorable vengeance :).

1 comment: