Thursday, September 10, 2009

There are lots of things I don't understand

...like the following news clip from lecture yesterday:
Similarly, I don't understand why someone would waste that much meat (and eight hours) to create a scale model of an AK-47 OUT OF BACON.

Yes, that is "real," but I don't think I would throw up the white flag if someone tried to hold me up with it. I might, however, attempt an experimental nibble at the end in an impulsive fit of the preggo munchies.

There is another thing I don't understand.

Learning Objective
State the causes of the following conditions, recognize the enzymatic reactions that cause them, state the metabolic consequences.
  • Phenylketonuria
  • Tetrahydrobiopterin synthetic defects
  • Dihydropteridine reductase deficiency
  • Maple syrup urine disease
  • Propionic acidemia
  • Multiple carboxylase deficiency
  • Biotinidase deficiency
  • Methylmalonic acidemia
  • Classical homocystinuria
  • Methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency
  • Vitamin B12 activation defects
Unlike bacon guns, however, this is one of a million factoids I will HAVE to understand in......oh.......seven days, which is our next exam date.

DOOM.

This post, however, has one happy thing that I don't understand, and that many people don't understand, in fact.

My baby can HICCUP in the womb! :) :) :) :) :) :) CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With increasing frequency, I've been noticing that my baby has two kinds of movements: one is her random kicking/head-butting/fist punching/somersaulting that she does without regard to my ribs, sides or kidneys. The other feels like tiny rhythmic tics deep in the belly. They are very gentle and don't last very long. I was curious as to what they were, googled it, and came up with an article in www.thelaboroflove.com about prenatal hiccups!! Just like with adult hiccups, scientists aren't sure why babies do it, but it's harmless, super cute, and really funny :).

Okay. My ADD is satisfied: time for more metabolic deficiencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment