Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Just a Day in the Life...

A few things of great interest happened today.

a) I experienced nesting syndrome.
b) I had the first of my weekly OB appointments.
c) We signed Andrew up for the GRE in early December.
d) I performed surgery on myself.
e) I witnessed Andrew studying math for a whole hour.

After our 8 a.m. appointment with the OB this morning, I came home and had the frantic desire to pack my hospital bag, organize Baby Miriam's clothes, and clean out the plastic drawers by my desk. Nesting syndrome, yup. I packed and re-packed the hospital bag about three times, all the while wishing I were packing a cute Vera Bradley bag and not my dumb Walmart backpack from undergrad days...

I love these two patterns, but those darn bags are SO expensive.



As to the surgery, my left toe has been sporting a red, painful sore on the edge of my nail for the past two weeks. My initial diagnosis of an ingrown toenail was confirmed when I asked my OB about it this morning. He made a big point out of the fact that he wasn't a podiatrist and that he specialized in babies (doi!) and that I should make an appointment with my general practitioner, but then he mentioned on the side that I could probably go at it myself with a pair of scissors. Can you guess what I did next, when I got home? Don't worry, I won't describe it. Suffice to say, I sterilized my instruments (nail clippers and tweezers), cleaned my foot, and had an immensely successful operation and the patient looks fabulous post-op (read: my toe doesn't hurt anymore!) Perhaps this will prove to be a jump start to a long and successful career.

The final exciting item of the day is that Andrew is officially signed up for the GRE! I suppose that means grad school is becoming a real possibility for him. He also spent an hour studying math, which was a strange sight to me and somehow quite endearing. I tried to help him with some of the problems, but, sad to say, my algebra skills are sorely lacking after years of non-use. I barely even remembered the Pythagorean Theorem. Pathetic.

So that was just another day in our strange life. A lot more happened, actually. I skipped class, Andrew and I hung out at Urban Dog for four hours, I reached a new level in Farmville, made a fabulous asparagus cream soup, learned that gastric bypass can lead to clinical depression, and read about a morbidly obese woman who lay on a couch for so long she fused to it and that's where she died...

Yup. Today's been interesting!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting, all right. You've got a full life these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with the new Vera Bradley craze. :o)

    Here's me trying to imagine Andrew studying math for a whole hour! Best wishes to him. I'm heartily ready to give up on it after this dreadful GRE is over.

    ReplyDelete